Updated Apr 5, 2011 - 3:39 pm
SI's Peter King fears Jake Locker will be a bust
By Brady Henderson
When Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was asked at the NFL scouting combine in February about Jake Locker, he said the ex-Husky reminds him of former Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Plummer.
Sports Illustrated's Peter King, who joined Brock & Salk on Tuesday, offered a less flattering comparison.
"I'm worried that he's Kyle Boller," King said.
Boller was the 19th overall pick in 2003 despite completing just 47.8 percent of his passes in four years at Cal. He's played for three NFL teams in nine seasons and has a career 56.7 percent completion rate.
King lauded Locker's willingness to play through broken ribs last season but said similar accuracy concerns are too great to ignore.
"I have great respect for a guy who understands that the only chance his team has to win is by him playing even though he's in pain and he's hurting himself and he's hurting his pro future by doing it," King said, "which obviously he did this year by playing with broken ribs.
"But on the other hand, the stats are the stats. The guy in four years of college football completed 54 percent of his passes. That stinks. And if I'm a team looking at him, I've got to say, 'It's not just because he played a few games with broken ribs. He's just not an accurate enough passer.'"
You might also be interested in...
Brock & Salk: Is Mallett or Locker a better option for the Seahawks?
Rob Rang has Seahawks taking DT in first round
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
When Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was asked at the NFL scouting combine in February about Jake Locker, he said the ex-Husky reminds him of former Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Plummer. Sports Illustrated's Peter King, who joined Brock & Salk on Tuesday, offered a less flattering comparison.
- Jan 18 - Jeremy Bates, we hardly knew ya
- Jan 20 - Mike grades the Seahawks offense
- Jan 21 - Brock and Salk look at playoff matchups
- Jan 24 - Mike grades the Seahawks defense
- Jan 25 - What's at stake for Jake?
- Jan 27 - What's in store for Matt Hasselbeck?
- Feb 1 - Seahawks Offense: Who stays, who goes?
- Feb 4 - Brock and Salk's Super Bowl preview
- Feb 8 - Three Seahawks at career crossroads
- Feb 14 - How a lockout affects Seahawks
- The Welcome Back Wak-Off! Youth is served!
- Mariners can't keep Jack Wilson, Wedge shows he's in charge
- SI's Peter King fears Jake Locker will be a bust
- 4/5: Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker?
- Mariners show something we hardly saw in 2010 -- heart
- Blue 42: Ryan Mallett doesn't fit with Seahawks
- 4/4: Justin Smoak looks good in Mariners' opening series
- 4/1: Seahawks' top offseason priorities
- Blue 42: All quarterbacks are picked apart
- What will Michael Pineda give the Mariners?